Expert Restorative Dentistry
So what are dental crowns in Cashmere. A dental crown used to restore the normal shape, size, and function of your teeth. The crown itself is a fixed prosthetic device that is placed over a tooth. We may recommend a dental crown to:
- Replace a large filling when there isn't enough tooth remaining
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Restore a fractured tooth
- Attach a bridge
- Cover a dental implant
- Cover a discolored or poorly shaped tooth
- Cover a tooth that has had root canal treatment
How Do Dental Crowns in Cashmere Work?
A dental crown covers a damaged tooth to strengthen it and improve its appearance and alignment with the other teeth. A crown can also be placed on top of an implant to provide a more functional tooth-like shape and structure.
The dental crowns in Cashmere Cashmere Family Dentistry provide look, feel, and function like real teeth. We ensure that they’re made just for your teeth, with the greatest attention to detail. We can also match any available shade of tooth you desire. By choosing a blending shade similar to the neighboring natural teeth, these teeth can “disappear,” and not stand out as 'fake' or 'prosthetic' once they’re placed in your mouth.
How Are Dental Crowns Placed?
It will usually take 2 dental visits to complete this treatment. There are several steps involved in the process of placing and fitting a dental crown over your natural tooth.
- We’ll start by preparing your tooth. We’ll remove the outer potion, as well as any decay. This will help the crown fit. If any additional tooth structure is needed to support the crown, we may build up the core of the tooth first.
- An impression will be made to provide an exact model for the crown. This impression can be made from a mold, or by digitally scanning the tooth.
- You may receive a temporary crown while you wait for the permanent crown to be ready. This takes less than two weeks most of the time. If you have a temporary crown, the tooth may be sensitive to hot or cold food, beverages, or air. Avoid chewing gum and eating sticky foods during this time. In some cases, we may be able to fit your new crown on the same day.
- When the new crown is ready, we will place it in your mouth and make any necessary adjustments. When we’re happy with how it looks and feels, the crown will be cemented into place.
What Goes Into Making Dental Crowns in Cashmere?
You may not realize everything that does into making quality dental crown in Cashmere. To ensure beautiful, precise, and long-lasting results, we carefully plan all tooth contacts, cusp contours, and fossa locations to give us stable, long-term, and predictable results. Part of this planning includes the materials used to build a crown, which is paramount to its longevity.
One common material we use at Cashmere Family Dentistry is Zirconium. It’s an incredibly durable, hard, yet tooth-colored and beautiful material. There are several different forms of it, including the Zirconium dioxide that we use in dentistry to make crowns, dental implants, and dental implant parts. Zirconium is a very stable and biocompatible material. In fact, through a process called 'transformation toughening', it can actually make itself stronger when it experiences microfractures.